Due to changing government guidelines and backlog of requests for updated vaccines, we will unfortunately have to reschedule our planned vaccination event. We will no longer be holding our planned flu and COVID-19 vaccine clinic on September 27th. We will update you when a new date and time are decided on. We appreciate your understanding.
Why do birds fly south in September?
Because it’s quicker than walking!
A reminder that Labor Day is Monday, September 4th so we will not hold any programming that day. There will also be no meals served so please plan accordingly.
We have some unfortunate news. Our funders have decreased the amount of money they are giving us to provide you with delivered meals. We were able to provide food delivery service at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic through special funding that allowed us to expand our community dining program to reach more people. However, since the end of the Federal Covid-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE) Declaration in May 2023, the funding we once had for that is no longer available. We had enough funds to provide meals until the end of August.
As a result, we will be pausing meal deliveries for the month of September. We hope to be able to return to providing the service in October, but we won’t be certain until a later date. Please note that this change will not impact our dine-in meal service at the Lamb of God Church. We recommend planning on participating in the community dining program if that is an option for you.
We have a lot of new and returning programming this month.
- Music and Mindfulness is back at a new date and time! It will now be every Friday at 1:30pm starting September 8th.
- On Monday, September 11th, we will be holding a Lavender Wand making Class where participants will be provided with all the materials needed to make lavender wands for their homes.
- Folk Dancing with Susan is back! Join us Friday, September 15th at 10am for this fun and low intensity exercise class.
- Monday, September 25th we will be holding a class on growing microgreens at 1:30pm. Using healthy soil choices, a variety of fun seeds, and small plastic cups participants will learn how to grow a small crop of microgreens to use in salads, sandwiches or just eat as a garnish. Microgreens are full of nutrients and easy and fun to grow. It is an easy way to learn to grow something and super nutritious for your diet.
- John will hold two Computer 101 classes this month. September 8th at 10am we will have a class on Learning about the Cloud. Here you’ll learn about what exactly “the cloud” is and how it works. We will discuss cloud services like iCloud, Google Drive, and OneDrive and how to use them. On September 22nd at 10am will be a class on Online Payments and Banking. Learn how to safely make payments online using your credit card or bank accounts. We will discuss online banking, how to set-up automatic payments, and other tips for keeping your finances secure.
We want to thank everyone once again for your support and flexibility these past few months. We look forward to seeing you at our program. For more information on our programming and lunch menu, please follow the links to the right.
Lake City Seniors
What do you call a Labrador at the beach in August?
A Hot Dog!
We are excited to announce that for the first time ever Lake City Seniors will have a spot in the Lake City Parade, which will be on August 5th, kicking off at 7pm. We are looking for volunteers to join us in the parade. We currently need at least 2 people who are willing to hold up a small banner with our logo and as many people who want can participate in the music and dancing or even driving in our van with us. We will provide water and snacks to anyone who shows up to participate. If you are interested in joining the parade, please contact Kate by calling 206-549-5026. You can also show up at the Lamb of God Church Saturday, August 5th at 5:30pm where we will meet before going to the parade.
Our community partner SilverKite will be hosting Arts in the Parks every Monday and Wednesday from 12pm-2pm at the park in front of the Lamb of God Lutheran Church. These are a variety of different free art workshops available to people of all ages. The last workshop will be on August 23rd.
- On Monday, August 14th, we will be hosting a Legal Planning Presentation with The Dementia Legal Planning Program. This presentation will cover the standard advanced legal planning documents that everyone should have in place and information on how to connect with an attorney for free though our program for legal help completing power of attorney and advance directive documents.
- Folk Dancing with Susan is back! Join us August 18th at 10am for this fun and low intensity exercise class.
- John will hold two Computer 101 classes this month. August 11th at 10am we will have a class on Digital Device Care Tips. Here you’ll learn how to take care of your smartphones, computers, and tablets. We will discuss how to keep them running efficiently, how to extend your battery life, how to troubleshoot issues, how to clean the screen safely, and more. On August 25th at 10am will be a class on What To Do If You Are Scammed. Learn what to do when you have been scammed online. We will explain common scams and what sort of things people can do to try and get access to your personal information and finances. We will discuss what steps to take to recover your online accounts and what you can do to resecure your information and feel safe again.
- The Mobile Community Service Office from the Department of Social and Health Services will be visiting to provide one-on-one help during a SNAP Benefit Info Session on Friday August 25th from 10:00am-1:00pm. At this event you can apply for Cash Assistance, Basic food assistance, medical assistance, and the Medicare savings program. You can also drop off paperwork, complete an eligibility review, mid-certification review or make changes to an existing case.
Lake City Seniors
What did the Calendar say to the Clock the moment it became June 1st?
I am dis-Mayed.
Summer is officially here! We hope everyone is staying cool.
We are very grateful and fortunate that we have been able to relocate to a new space to continue our operations. Lamb of God Church has generously welcomed us into their building indefinitely. From now on, all Lake City Seniors activities will take place at Lamb of God Church.
We want to thank everyone again for being so understanding and adaptable during this transition. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the Lake City Seniors program going forward, please reach out to Kate, Akira, or Justin. Any of us would be happy to hear from you.
A reminder that Juneteenth is Monday, June 19th. For those who may not know, Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery in the United States. It is also known as Emancipation Day, Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Juneteenth Independence Day, and Black Independence Day. On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston, TX, and announced the end of the Civil War and the end of slavery.
In observation of the holiday, we will not hold any programming on June 19th. There will also be no meals served, so please plan accordingly.
- On Wednesday June 14th, we will be hosting a vaccination event. Please join us to receive your updated Bi-valent Covid-19 Booster or your annual flu shot. There is a new Covid-19 Booster available for everyone 55 and up.
- John will hold two Computer 101 classes this month. On June 9th there will be a Smartphone 101 classwhere you’ll learn mobile phone basics and how to navigate your phone. We will discuss the essentials and resources you can use to learn more about your device. On June 23rd John will teach Smartphone Tips and Tricks. In this class you’lllearn some useful tips for using your smartphone. We will discuss how to keep your phone organized by managing storage, settings, and more.
- Annie is now offering massage therapy once a month with a recommended donation amount of $15 per massage. This month is already full, but our next day will be Wednesday July 19th and is by appointment only. Contact Justin by calling 206-707-1865 or by emailing email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
We want to thank everyone once again for your support and flexibility these past few weeks. We look forward to seeing you all this summer.
Lake City Seniors
What did the spring say when it was in trouble?
It has been a much more eventful April than we anticipated! In case you missed it, there was a fire at Lake City Community Center, which significantly disrupted our programming. The response from fire fighters was quick and thankfully no one was hurt in the incident. However, the damage to the building is quite extensive and the community center has now been permanently closed as a result.
We have been fortunate to land on our feet. As many of you know, the Lamb of God Lutheran Church has been a great community partner during the pandemic, and they’ve kindly offered us the use of their space indefinitely. From now on, programming will take place at the Lamb of God Lutheran Church.
We want to thank everyone for being so understanding and adaptable during this transition. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the Lake City Seniors program going forward, please reach out to Kate, Akira, or Justin. Any of us would be happy to hear from you.
A reminder that Memorial Day is Monday May 29th so we will not hold any programming that day. There will also be no meals served so please plan accordingly.
- On Wednesday May 10th we will hold an art activity to commemorate the Lake City Community Center starting at 1pm. Please join us to create a mural and share memories of the good times the Community Center gave us. All materials will be provided.
- John will once again hold two computer 101 classes. This month the first will be Passwords 101 on May 12th. In this class you can learn the basics of passwords and how they work. We will discuss how to make your passwords more secure and tips for keeping yourself safe. The second will be Password Management 101 on May 26th. In this class you’ll learn how to simplify the process of logging into online accounts. We will discuss how to use a password manager to make it easier to keep track of all of your passwords.
- On Friday May 19th at 10am we’ll have Adrienne Bousquet out for a workshop on how to downsize your home. Adrienne Bousquet is a home organizer and owns Spruce, a business dedicated to unique residential services. During this free workshop, she’ll be diving into stories and details surrounding the life transitions that seniors face and how their “stuff” plays into it. Join in to talk about downsizing, staying organized, and the legacy of your treasured belongings.
- Annie will now be offering massage therapy once a month with a recommended donation amount of $15 per massage. The first day will be Wednesday May 10th and is by appointment only. Contact Justin by calling 206-707-1865 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
We want to thank everyone once again for your support and flexibility these past few weeks. It has been a challenging time, but it has proven how resilient we are as a program and as a community. We look forward to seeing you at our new home.
Lake City Seniors